Procedures for Applicants Not Residing in Turkmenistan
In order to increase efficiency and improve our customer service, procedures for scheduling consular appointments have been revised. As of August 1, 2012, the following procedures will take effect.
For residents of Turkmenistan: Continue to use the online appointment system.
For applicants not resident in Turkmenistan: Do not use the online appointment system. Instead, nonresident applicants for student visas must request an appointment by e-mail to NonResidentStudentAKD@state.gov. All other nonresident applicants must request an appointment by e-mail to NonResidentVisaAKD@state.gov.
E-mail requests must meet the following criteria:
- The request must be in English
- The DS-160 Barcode number must be the e-mail subject line
- The e-mail must include the applicant’s full name as written in his passport, date of birth, passport number, and languages spoken.
- Each applicant (or family if you are travelling together) must request their own interview—the e-mail must come from the e-mail address listed on applicant’s the DS-160 form, and there must be one e-mail per appointment or family appointment. Requests for multiple appointments may not be grouped together in one e-mail unless you are a family travelling together.
- The request should indicate the purpose of your planned trip.
- We will accept appointment requests only the first week of each month for the following month. However, due to the large volume of appointment requests, we are not able to accommodate all the requests we receive. If you do not receive a reply with an appointment date, it means that we received your email after all available slots were filled.
Please note: We schedule appointments according to when we receive e-mails, not according to when they were sent. Sometimes delivery may be delayed due to IT infrastructure or other variables beyond our control.
The U.S. Embassy in Ashgabat interviews visitor visa applicants who are not permanent residents in Turkmenistan on the first Tuesday of each month. However, additional appointments may be available for nonresident students; these will be arranged by e-mail.
Once the U.S. Embassy in Ashgabat receives your e-mail appointment request, we will send you an e-mail confirmation with your appointment time. Only those applicants who receive an interview appointment will receive an e-mail confirmation.
If you appear for your appointment without an e-mail from the Ashgabat Consular Section confirming the appointment, you will not be admitted into the U.S. Embassy. If you would like to reschedule a confirmed visa appointment please send an e-mail request to the address above.
Interview appointment time slots will be assigned in the order the request is received. Once all slots have been allocated, no further e-mail requests will be accepted. Failure to follow these instructions will result in denial of your appointment request.
Please note: If you make a visa appointment via the online appointment system instead of by e-mail, it will be cancelled without any notification. If you make a visa appointment at another U.S. Embassy while waiting for a visa interview in Ashgabat, your interview appointment in Ashgabat will be canceled and you will receive an e-mail notification of the appointment cancellation.
Visa fees are payable in cash, in U.S. dollars only, at the Consular cashier window on the day of your appointment. Visa fees are non-refundable.
All applicants are welcome to apply in Ashgabat. However, if you do not speak English, Turkmen, or Russian you may find it difficult to demonstrate your qualifications for a visa. Translators, including family members, are not permitted to attend visa interviews. The U.S. Embassies in Ankara, Turkey and Dubai, United Arab Emirates are designated as Non-Immigrant Visa interviewing posts for Iranian applicants. These Embassies are staffed with Farsi speaking Consular Officers who are familiar with conditions within Iran. For information on how to schedule an appointment at an Embassy designated for processing Iranian visa applicants, please see the following links: