The Information Resource Center (IRC), part of the Embassy’s Public Affairs Section, is a public library, public Internet center and meeting place for English-language instruction and Embassy speaker programs. The IRC library has thousands of books, dozens of American periodical subscriptions and many electronic information resources and devices. The IRC’s focus is to make information available to any citizen of Turkmenistan who has an interest in the American people, American culture, the U.S. Government and American values in general. All citizens of Turkmenistan are welcome to visit during normal operating hours. The IRC is open every day of the week, except Sunday. From Monday through Friday, hours are from 9:00 until 13:00 and from 14:00 until 20:00. On Saturday, hours are from 09:00 until 12:00 and from13:00 until 18:00. The IRC is closed on the national holidays of Turkmenistan and the United States. Click here to download the latest IRC Monthly Program (January 2015, pdf, 754 kb).
IRC patrons are often interested in using our electronic resources, such as English-language learning stations, or in accessing the Internet via computer terminals and free Wi-Fi. Patrons may also browse on Apple iPad tablets and Kindles, which are hand-held electronic devices loaded with hundreds of English-language books and other material. By way of traditional print media, the IRC maintains a reference, fiction and non-fiction collection approaching 4,000 volumes and subscribes to over 40 leading American periodicals (pdf, 12.0 kb). The IRC also has a substantial film library of American movies in both English and Russian. Patrons are welcome to watch the movies while at the IRC, or to attend weekly public movie screenings.
The IRC staff is available to assist the citizens of Turkmenistan any way possible. The staff will help patrons to locate the best source materials for research projects, and provide tutorials either individually or for groups on how best to use the Internet to access information. Visitors can come to the IRC with their questions during operating hours, or call or email if they cannot come in person.
Information Assistance in Person
- Patrons can request personal, remote access to eLibraryUSA - a portal of scientific, professional and educational (including kids) databases.
- The IRC staff is always available to advise and assist in finding information that IRC patrons need.
- The staff is also available to teach patrons how to research on their own, either via print reference resources or on the Internet. Ask for a tutorial when you visit.
- Patrons are welcome to use and borrow Embassy books and periodicals.
Presentations and Workshops
- Weekly presentations on Thursday afternoons by officers of the U.S. Embassy.
- Internet search strategies and Internet familiarization (periodically and upon request).
- Online resources on topics of personal interest (upon request).
Location: Public Affairs Section
3rd floor, Business Center
Telephone: (993-12) 47 35 03/06
Fax: (993-12) 47 35 29