Now in its twenty third year, FLEX will offer scholarships to secondary school students from Turkmenistan for the 2016-2017 academic years. Scholarship recipients will be provided with round-trip travel from their home to the United States and back, as well as an allowance for living expenses.
Scholarship recipients will learn about the United States firsthand by participating in family life, school study and extracurricular activities. Program participants will also participate in activities in their local communities or areas, and will also have the opportunity to share their own culture with others.
Recipients of FLEX scholarships are selected by an independent panel of experienced educators in the United States on the basis of merit demonstrated in application materials. Merit is determined by evaluating the written application, recommendations, English language proficiency and an applicant's demonstrated preparedness for a year-long exchange experience.
We invite all students to participate in the fall 2015 competition who:
- were born in the period between March 15, 1998 to May 31, 2000;
- have not lived in the United States for more than three months in the last five years;
- and who speak English well.
This program is open to all high school students who meet requirements of the program including students with disabilities. More than 200 disabled students have already studied in the U.S. on this program.
Representatives of American Councils will visit many regional centers in the fall 2015. Testing will be conducted in Ashgabat, Turkmenbashi, Turkmenabat, Dashoguz, Balkanabat, Mary and Tejen.
All eligible students are invited to take part in the first round of testing. They must bring proof of eligibility (their passport or original birth certificate) and one recent photograph (3x4 cm). The competition consists of a 15-minute test on basic knowledge of English (Round One), essays in English (Round Two), and an English test, essay and interview (Round Three).
FLEX Program Testing Schedule 2015/16 Academic Year
Testing Site, Date, Time, School
- Turkmenbashy, Balkan Region September 13, 9:00 School 10, Turkmenbashy
- Balkanabat, Balkan Region September 20, 9:00 School 3, Balkanabat
- Мary, Mary Region October 4, 9:00 Мary 19, Mary
- Dashoguz, Dashoguz Region October 11, 9:00 School 2, Dashoguz
- Turkmenabat, Lebap Region October 18, 9:00 School 2, Turkmenabat
- Ahal Region November 1, 9:00 School 3, Tejen
- Аshgabat November 8, 9:00 School 20, Ashgabat
Please contact American Councils for further information: Tel: (+99312) 97-10-16; 97-10-21