Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
English Language

English Language Development Programs and Resources offered by the Public Affairs Section

Last Updated: March 2015

The PAS maintains a collection of English language methodology and textbooks that can be checked out by English teachers for up to two weeks. Teachers are encouraged to visit the Information Resource Center located on the 3rd floor of the International Business Center, Andalyp street, 70. This center provides information about the United States to teachers, scholars and government representatives. To make an appointment to use the Center, call the Public Affairs Section.

American English

The American English website provides resources for teaching and learning English as a Foreign Language (EFL), exploring American culture, and encouraging conversation within the global EFL community.

Trace Effects

A collaborative English language video game experience for students ages 12-16. Learn English and explore American culture through puzzles, games, and adventures in an interactive world.

Forum Magazine

The English Teaching Forum, a journal for English teachers outside the United States, is published four times a year (January, April, July and October). In Turkmenistan, it is distributed by the Public Affairs Section and American Corners. There is also an on-line edition of the Forum at

You can submit your articles as well by following these instructions. To be considered for publication, manuscripts should be typed, double-spaced, and have margins of at least three centimeters. They should also be accompanied by a statement indicating whether they have been submitted for publication elsewhere. Anything written for submission to Forum should be sent to the following address:

  • Email:
  • Post: English Teaching Forum
    US Department of State, SA-5, 4th Floor
    2200 C St. NW
    Washington, DC 20037 USA

ELT Professionals in Turkmenistan

The State Department's Office of English Language Programs in Washington, DC, with the support of Congressional funding, has developed three programs that can bring ELT professionals to universities and other educational institutions in Central Asia. If your institution is interested in hosting the Fellow, is willing to work with the RELO (in Uzbekistan) and the Public Affairs Section in Turkmenistan, and can share some of the Fellow's costs with these offices, please contact the Public Affairs Section.

  1. English Language Fellows: The English Language Fellow Program recruits qualified EFL teachers to teach English in universities and institutions teach for one year according to the needs of the host institution. Fellows are Americans with an M.A. degree in TEFL/TESL.
  2. Senior English Language Fellow: The Senior Fellow Program recruits American EFL teacher trainers or ESP instructors with an M.A. or Ph.D. degree in TEFL/TESL and considerable experience in teacher training or ESP, some of which was overseas. They can be posted at the Ministry of Education or at teacher training institutions to conduct a variety of activities including training sessions on methodology, curriculum development, textbook analysis, and testing. ESP specialists can teach English at advanced levels to professionals in such fields as business, economics, law, finance, and medicine.
  3. Short-term English Language Specialists: The English Language Specialist program recruits American academics in the field of TEFL/TESL and Applied Linguistics for short-term assignments (two to six weeks) overseas or as speakers for video or teleconferences with overseas audiences. Specialists may work on curriculum projects, teacher training seminars, textbook development, English for Special Purposes, program evaluation or other well-defined short projects. Institutions or organizations interested in inviting a specialist may request a specific scholar; if they do not, then the Office of English Language Programs contacts and recruits an EL Specialist from among well-known academics in the field. (The Office of English Language Programs will provide funds for the specialist's travel and honorarium, but food and housing for the specialist must be provided by the host institution and/or the U.S. Embassy.)