Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI)
The United States Embassy is accepting applications for the Study of the United States Institutes (SUSI) program. This is a 6-week, non-degree, post-graduate program, to take place in various higher education institutions of the United States during Summer 2013, embodying studies of the United States Institutes in the following fields:
- U.S. Culture and Society
- American Politics and Political Thought
- Contemporary American Literature
- US Foreign policy
- Journalism and media
- Religious Pluralism in the United States
- Program for secondary school educators
- Programs 1-6 are open to university-level faculty and professionals.
- Program 7 is open to classroom teachers, teacher trainers, curriculum developers, textbook writers, Ministry of Education officials, or other related professionals with responsibility for secondary education
The following criteria apply:
- Candidates should be mid-career, motivated and experienced professionals from institutions of higher education.
- Candidates should have little or no prior experience in the United States, whose home institution is seeking to introduce aspects of US studies into its curricula, develop new courses in the subject of the visited institute, enhance and update existing courses on the United States, or offer specialized seminars for professionals in US studies areas related to the program theme.
- Candidates should be willing and able to fully take part in an intensive post-graduate level academic program and study tour.
- Each candidate should provide a short personal statement (one page) indicating why he or she is interested in participating in the program and what he or she expects to get out of the program.
- All candidates should demonstrate English language fluency.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have special interest in the program subject areas as demonstrated through past scholarship, accomplishments and professional duties.
The program covers all costs – travel, living expenses, books, incidentals and medical insurance.
Applications can be picked up from the Public Affairs Section, 4th floor, Ak Altyn Hotel, starting November 21, 2012. Applications can be submitted by email or in person. For additional information please emailAshgabatEducation@state.gov.
Deadline for applications is December 14, 2012.
For a complete description of the SUSI program, please click here: http://exchanges.state.gov/academicexchanges/scholars.html